List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Modifying KWord files / Interaction with KWord
From:       Pascal.Niklaus () unibas ! ch
Date:       2001-04-24 2:56:02

I am working on a literature management program (project name is 'KCite'). The
program is similar to EndNote or ReferenceManager under Windows. It allows to
manage a literature reference database incl. importing from external scientific
literature data bases (science scitation index, biological abstracts etc.).

The data base functionality and the user interface work quite well, but I have
not yet figured out how the interaction with KWord is best implemented.

I therefore would like to discuss that with you KWord developers before
proceeding.

In KWord, ideally
- the citation would be stored in some 'protected' structure which cannot be
edited accidentially. (in MS Word it is a field code)
- formatting should be reversible, e.g. it should be possible to 'unformat' a
document so that the original 'code' is restored (in the example below, from
'Taylor and Miller (2001b)' back to [Taylor, 2001, #12345])
- Ideally, all the formatting actions could be invoked from within KWord.

How can a KWord document be accessed from an external application? Is there a
mechanisms by which an application can hook itself into KWord so that it can see
and manipulate the document being edited? Or do I have to load the KWord
document in KCite, manipulate it, and save it back? And is there a way in which
something like the field codes mentioned above could be implemented?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Pascal

P.S.: The way that stuff works in EndNote/MS Word, for example, is that a
citation is selected and copy-pasted into the Word document where it will shows
up as, for example, [Taylor, 2001, #12345], where 'Taylor' ist the family name
of the first author, 2001 is the year of publication, and 12345 is the record
number in the database.

The document then can be formatted either from within MS Word, or by
manipulating the Word document from EndNote (it has to be closed in Word to do
that). The literature reference list is then automatically appended to the end
of the document. The above reference will then for example look like 'Taylor and
Miller (2001b)', and a corresponding entry will be added to the reference list.