List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Numbered paragraphs in new kword
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2001-03-07 19:00:03

> Also, I suggest that there is never a reason to use a manual override for
> heading numbers except for the first paragraph in a file This should be
> sufficient to support the chapter-per-file style of book writing without
> risk of obscure errors. However, I'm open to persuasion on this.

I think I can see usage for non-linear lists..

A list from 1 to 1024, interrupted from 5 to 1020...
1, \n2, \n3, \n4, \n1021, \n1022, \n1023, \1024

This needs the option to set the 5th element to continue at 1021.
I am unsure if this is enough reason to implement this extra level of
complexity ;)

> Now, I hope that my original description make more sense. Using my
> terminology, the example Thomas gave looks like this:

> > 1.1 Header          - heading numbered, depth = 1
> >                             - several unnumbered
> > a list item            - list numbered, depth = 0, display = lowercase
> > b list item            - ditto
> > c list item            - ditto
> >   1 list2 item        - list numbered, depth = 1, display = decimal
> >   2 list2 item        - ditto
> > d list item            - list numbered, depth = 0, display = lowercase
> >   1 list3 item        - list numbered, depth = 1, display = decimal
> >   2 list3 item        - ditto
> >     2.1 list4 item   - list numbered, depth = 1, display = decimal
> >     2.2 list4 item   - ditto
> > e list item            - list numbered, depth = 0, display =lowercase
> >
> > 1.2 Header         - heading numbered, depth = 1
>
> The algorithms I provided will get the above numbering correctly, I think.

Didn't check, I believe you ;-)

Depth as implemented in KWord (2 months ago) is the amount of sub-levels you
are on.
so:
  Chapter 1	- depth =0
  Chapter 1.1	- depth = 1
  Chapter 1.1.1	- depth = 2

Then I am wondering how you store the concept of depth I display here. Since
in the example above the
 1 list3 item, and the
 2.1 list4 item are both depth =1 ...

This probably got me most confused..

As a remark, the flow I was referring to is taken from FrameMaker, I have no
idea what the flow is David talked about ;}

> I think we are actually in quite good agreement in concept (the terminology
> is a bit different), so I will look to code up the design I had in mind. We
> can always rework that if it does not work out in practice.

Cool

--
Thomas