On Tuesday 06 March 2001 21:08, shaheed wrote: > Thomas, Nicholas, > > I realise I did not make myself clear in my original note with regard to > bullets etc. I regard the exact numbering type (bullets, roman, decimal, > etc.) as a purely display issue. The internal numbering and depth structures > do not change between > > a. > b. > b.1. > b.2. > c. > > and > > o > o > 1. > 2. > o Yes - note that this is already the case (AFAIK). > Also, I suggest that there is never a reason to use a manual override for > heading numbers except for the first paragraph in a file This should be > sufficient to support the chapter-per-file style of book writing without > risk of obscure errors. However, I'm open to persuasion on this. Yes, I think it's good enough too (changed my mind). > Now, I hope that my original description make more sense. Using my > terminology, the example Thomas gave looks like this: > > > 1.1 Header - heading numbered, depth = 1 > > - several unnumbered > > a list item - list numbered, depth = 0, display = lowercase > > b list item - ditto > > c list item - ditto > > 1 list2 item - list numbered, depth = 1, display = decimal > > 2 list2 item - ditto > > d list item - list numbered, depth = 0, display = lowercase > > 1 list3 item - list numbered, depth = 1, display = decimal > > 2 list3 item - ditto > > 2.1 list4 item - list numbered, depth = 1, display = decimal > > 2.2 list4 item - ditto > > e list item - list numbered, depth = 0, display =lowercase > > > > 1.2 Header - heading numbered, depth = 1 > > The algorithms I provided will get the above numbering correctly, I think. The only change compared to the current code is the distinction between "list numbered" and "heading numbered", right ? > Thomas is probably right in that the depth for heading numbered paragraphs > can be inferred from the style. We don't have this for lists as Thomas > observes - perhaps I should fix that first? I don't agree with "you have to use a style to get a list", as it was in the old KWord. It prevents applying a list to an existing paragraph formatting, and it looks overly complex for nothing. In the new KWord you can apply a list numbering to a paragraph, without needing a style for that. Why change that ? Why try to get from the style something you already have in the paragraph settings ? > > Just use numbers as I did in my example above. These numbers then reflect > > the amount of digits used. So the 2.1 in my example above should have depth > > 2. > Well, the current code is zero-based, but this is easy to change. Well, it's internal, isn't it ? Ah, maybe the UI reflects this - but then it's only the UI that needs to be fixed. > > > Any preceeding unnumbered paragraph is skipped as if it did not exist. > > > > No, in most document people make lists that simply count from 1 to n, and > > start a new list after a number of unnumbered paragraphs. So doing what you > > suggest here breaks the normal usage of a lot of users. > > No, the presence of the unnumbered paragraph (using my terminiology) is what > allows your "flows" to be deduced. I believe what I suggested will support > your example. Unnumbered paragraphs should be skipped by heading numbering, no doubt there. But the question is, what about normal lists - as Thomas said (and as MSWord does), you need to reset the list numbering there. So they have to be handled differently. > I think we are actually in quite good agreement in concept (the terminology > is a bit different), so I will look to code up the design I had in mind. Thanks ! -- David FAURE, david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/ KDE, Making The Future of Computing Available Today _______________________________________________ Koffice-devel mailing list Koffice-devel@master.kde.org http://master.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/koffice-devel