List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    RFC: Numbered paragraphs in new kword
From:       shaheed <srhaque () iee ! org>
Date:       2001-03-06 9:23:41

Hi all,

Paragraph numbering in the new kword is coming alive. Now, I'd like to
establish a clear set of rules for numbering to make sure it all works as we
expect. This is what I propose, comments welcome...

1. A paragraph is either unnumbered, numbered as a heading, or numbered as a
list entry.

2. All paragraphs have a depth. The depth of a paragraph reflects its logical
place in the hierarchy. This depth is:

- heading level for heading numbered paragraphs

- heading level for unnumbered paragraphs not in a list ("normal" text). This
makes it easy to convert text to and from headings.

- list level for list numbered paragraphs

- list level for unnumbered paragraphs in a list. This makes it easy to have
list entries spanning multiple paragraphs, and to convert those paragraphs
between numbered and non-numbered states.

3. A heading numbered paragraph at depth d is numbered as:

- "n+1" if any preceeding heading numbered paragraph is of level equal to d
and has number "n".

- "1" if any preceeding heading numbered paragraph is of level less than d.

Any preceeding unnumbered paragraph is skipped as if it did not exist. In
addition, a manual override is provided for the first paragraph in a document.

4. A list numbered paragraph at depth d is numbered as:

- "n+1" if any preceeding heading numbered paragraph is of level equal to d
and has number "n".

- "1" if any preceeding list numbered paragraph is of level less than d.

- "1" if any preceeding paragrpah is not list numbered.

What did I miss?

Thanks, Shaheed