List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    RE: KWord status
From:       Nicolas GOUTTE <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2001-02-12 18:26:46

Yes!

Note that I have already said that a CDATA is not sufficient!
I also have already said that this format do not need to be KWord's
internal format! It does not even need to be KWord's/KOffice's native
format!

One advantage is that the whole file is a pure XML file! One setContent and
your whole document is accessible through a QDomDocument [DOM]. That is
standard, not KTarGz! (Okay, gzip is a standard, but not tar as far as I
know, even if it is widely used! Is there a tar functionnality in Java for
example?)
The second advantage is that with some CSS2 magic, you can have a preview
of the text (no images) in any browser supporting XML+CSS2. Think of the
advantage when in future many browsers can read correctly XML+CSS2, even on
platforms where KOffice is unknown!

However, I think that right now is not the right time to change the file
format for KWord, as the new KWord is already on the way. We first need a
really working new KWord, then much later we can think about alternative
file formats.
I never had the idea to remove now the KTarGz system form KOffice. In my
first mail, I have put the sentence about a unique XML file between
<OFFTOPIC> and I have put in the sentence the phrase: "in far future!"