List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KWord status
From:       Christian Lavoie <clavoi14 () po-box ! mcgill ! ca>
Date:       2001-02-12 17:30:57

> CDATA sections can only have normal (roughly: printable) characters (Char
> in the XML specification). Cf. section 2.7 of the XML specifiation for the
> definition of CDATA sections and 2.2 for the defintion of Char.
> So it excludes all control characters except CR, LF and TAB. However for
> true binary, you need all these control characters!
> Therefore you have to encode binary data (for example in mime base64.)
>
> Reference:
> XML Specification: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml (latest version)

If you consider the 2 examples I gave, you'll see you are saying exactly the
same thing I am.

Agreed, I screwed up the terminology.

> Just like postscript encodes picture files in ASCII for embedding... Or
> e-mail 'embeds' PGP keys within itself.

ASCII -> printable ASCII. I meant something you can expect to turn out in a
somewhat usable state in a text editor.

Like I said, I screwed up terminology.

> XML spec clearly says CDATA can be whatever you feel like

As in any content you want, not any encoding you want. Of course, XML CDATA
is expected not to use characters disallowed in most other XML parts. =P

--
Christian Lavoie
clavoi14@po-box.mcgill.ca