List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    RE: KWord status
From:       Nicolas GOUTTE <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2001-02-12 15:43:44

I have written (just two sentences later) that any binary data must be
coded.

You can take AbiWord's files for example. Binary objects (e.g. images) are
coded using mime's base64. (To be complete, other objects whose description
is text based are coded as CDATA sections in AbiWord.) It is already in
AbiWord's (0.7.12) code, even if the only objects AbiWord knows for now are
PNG images.

Note 1: I don't know if QDomDocument and friends can really use namespaces
for now! QT's Sax2 interface says it can. I have not tested any of them!
Note 2: This all-in-one file format is good as a file on disk or on a
network, I do not know how good or how bad it is really as internal working
file format for KWord. May be it then would still be needed to be split at
therefore that I think it should be an external filter at first.
Note 3: For completeness, the latest specification of XML namespaces is at
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names .