List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KWord status
From:       dep <dennispowell () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2001-02-09 14:58:03

while we're here -- the proposed changes, btw, sound just right -- a
request for something that would make kword a lot easier to use;
indeed, would make the difference for a lot of people in deciding
whether to fire up kword, staroffice, applix, or wordperfect (or, for
that matter, abi, which i understand is going along well, though it
now crashes instantly here). it's this:

user-selectable defaults, so that kword can be fired up and work
begun without a lot of adjustments. here's what i mean. a kword.rc
that specifies a default template, or at least page size, default
typeface and size, and default zoom factor. (the page size really
ought to be user selectable for kde overall, in that practically no
one switches between A4 and letter, so setting it in kcc should be
more than adequate.)

here's what i mean: to use kword now, i need to start it, then select
a page format, then zoom it -- i run at 1280x960 -- then stretch it
out. and i select exactly the same things practically every time, as
do most word processor users. if there were a place for storing all
this, such that it would just come up, it would save time and be a
lot more friendly, especially to windows refugees. a user-selectable
default template with other templates available by menu would be
great, as would saving size and zoom factor. then users would click
once, kword would load, and they could begin typing, with a minimum
of distraction.

as long as extensive redesign is underway, i humbly request that this
be considered.

as an alternative, if this could be done on the commandline (kword
--letter --150 --900x750) it would make things simpler for many of us
and would greatly increase our use of the app.
--
dep