List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: pt != pixel value :)
From:       Hans Meine <hans_meine () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-01-21 21:36:40

Hi!

AFAIK, the X server provides information about X and Y resolution in DPI
since X servers exist. Though, the information was seldomly right... :-(
At least on those home-installed Linux/xxBSD/XFree machines you had to
insert the right (self-calculated) values in the config file. The benefit
was that programs like the mouse-o-meters worked (automagically measuring
the speed/distance your mouse pointer travels on the monitor surface) and
gfx apps (like GIMP, xfig I believe) could display things in the right
dimensions/proportions.
Now what I found out: At l(e)ast XFree 4.0.1 is able to read the monitor
information send by this DDC technology (M$-like Monitor Plug&Pray) and
_configure the DPIs automatically_! (Calculating for the set up resolution)
Thanks to this, it should be reasonable to read those values in KDE/KOffice,
too. In fact, one should still be able to override these - look at the Gimp
config dialogs, it's done nicely there, IMHO.

dep <dennispowell@earthlink.net> writes:
> (--) MGA(0): Display dimensions: (33, 24) cm
> (--) MGA(0): DPI set to (98, 108)
I like it! ;-) Never pulling out the calculator again (after checking the
values of course... ;-))

--
Ciao,  /  /
      /--/