List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    RE: KOffice kcontrol module?
From:       Tinkl_Lukáš <Lukas.Tinkl () merlin ! cz>
Date:       2001-01-02 9:10:08

Hi Werner,
I think you just expressed something I've had on my mind for a long time. I
have a few remarks though:

> Hi!
>
> I wonder if something like a KOffice kcontrol module
> would be useful. It would allow the user to select
> the preferred unit, page size, maybe a special "home"
> directory for the documents, whether the user wants
> the template dia to pop up when pressing new, or if
> it should load some default template directly, ...
> (I especially don't like that we pop up that dialog
> *every* time, it's not configurable at all)

We already have a common "document" path; as for the paper format, preferred
unit and possibly other stuff that's likely to be common to _all_ KDE, based
on the country/region:
I propose herein to add these settings to the country specific entry.desktop
files, and to make them user-configurable in the Control Center.
It should present the user with reasonable defaults, which is always a good
thing IMHO.
We already have things like currency symbol, decimal separator - why not add
these too? :)

Here's what I suggest (feel free to comment & correct):
---
Paper=[A4|Letter|...]
Unit=[Metric|English|...]
---

The possible values for "Paper" and "Unit" should be well defined elsewhere,
these are just placeholders...

Comments? (I think we may find further items to add to the above list, truth
is I'm too tired to think of other ones... :-)

Regards,
Lukas