List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [Fwd: FW: KOffice kcontrol module?]
From:       Thomas <zander () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2001-01-03 11:50:52

> > I wonder if something like a KOffice kcontrol module
> > would be useful. It would allow the user to select
> > the preferred unit, page size, maybe a special "home"
> > directory for the documents, whether the user wants
> > the template dia to pop up when pressing new, or if
> > it should load some default template directly, ...
> > (I especially don't like that we pop up that dialog
> > *every* time, it's not configurable at all)
>
> We already have a common "document" path; as for the paper
> format, preferred unit and possibly other stuff that's likely
> to be common to _all_ KDE, based on the country/region:
> I propose herein to add these settings to the country
> specific entry.desktop files, and to make them
> user-configurable in the Control Center.
> It should present the user with reasonable defaults, which is
> always a good thing IMHO.
> We already have things like currency symbol, decimal
> separator - why not add these too? :)

I believe it is useful to be able to override the KDE wide setting for
a number of settings. You hit the mark with currency symbol etc.
One value (the default one) should be to use the KDE-default settings
so changing the kde-wide settings effects the koffice settings as well,
unless the user gave a specific different setting.

> Here's what I suggest (feel free to comment & correct):
> ---
> Paper=[A4|Letter|...]
> Unit=[Metric|English|...]
> ---

Lets create a set of templates like we have in KWord with standardized names
which are used koffice-wide. And the user can store the name of the template like
you offered above.
I don't know if it is sane to store the unit, they are implied by the template in
KWord because A4 means mm, and Letter means inches... Should we override that in the
koffice-panel? Or should we just solve that with a setting like 'use template defaults'

Another thought. Why not make the configuration of the seperate koffice applications
in a kcmshell environment, which means that we have a number of koffice config panels.
One global and a number of application specific panels, we can then do the same trick
corel did with the konqueror configuration panel and show all koffice-panels at the
same time.