List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Rationalising millimetres/points/inches
From:       Thomas <zander () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2000-12-28 18:25:09

> Thomas, Waldo,
>
> I'm aware that the proposal I just posted does not address storing the extra
> values. However, I believe that those values are essentially bogus anyway
> because:
>
> 1. the fact that any practical layout engine will operate in one unit only.

Agreed.

> 2. The illusion of precise handling of alternate values which is given by
> the technique of storing the extra values can be simply blown away by the
> user switching the UI preference from "in" to "mm" and back.

Good point. It does not make my points moot, but the current concept is so
hard that I think this will work better in the end. Just make sure that the conversion
code (which converts to/from the internal to the gui) works very good. I hate
to see rounding errors in the gui.  (when for example I type 300mm in paper
size and get 299 next time I open my dialog..)

Always do rounding on doubles and I think it will work fine;
  int points = (inch * 2.54 * 72.0) + 0.5;

> My suggestion is to maintain a precise core, and handle all conversions in a
> consistent fashion for both file and GUI I/O. The latter is accomplished by
> selecting an appropriate maximum precision for the base unit, and making all
> other values an order of magnitude more precise when stored internally.

Agreed. Overkill is not really a problem for me. "%.5f" looks good to me for
saving to the xml.