List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Updates to Import Filter framework
From:       "Shaheed Haque" <shaheedhaque () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2000-11-28 10:47:17

Hi all,

>Basically we should use krayon to show a file if kword can't show it.

I think that if I am editing a document, I should be able to edit every
aspect of it as required. So, I think it is important that I import pictures
in an editable form. To me, whether this is done as a (lot of) kparts, or
some "create a kpart from an image when double clicked" is merely an
implementation detail. The user should see what looks like a kpart in any
case.

I think we probably all agree so far. Now, Thomas' question is crucial to
choosing the right implementation:

>The question that remains to me is how the memory footprint is when
>using parts to show things like PNG files as opposed to using QT code
>(native
>to kword) to show those same parts.
>
>Some koffice-lib guru have an answer to that?

I don't know the answer, and I suspect that noone else does either (although
the gurus may have a good guess). So, for now at least, I am going down the
path of least resistance - see below. It is *very* easy to change later if
required (just emit "signalSavePic" or "signalSavePart" in the right place).

>WMF files can carry vector graphics as well as bitmap graphics. To limit
>the
>usage of parts I think Word filters should ask krayon to save a png of the
>image when possible (without loss). And vector graphics should become a
>killustrator part.

Exactly. If you look at the code from last night (which still needs tidying
up :-)), you will see:

1. an image/x-wmf (WMF vector graphics file) import filter for killustrator

2. an image/x-msod (MS Office Drawing vector graphics file ) import filter
for killustrator. Note that x-msod can, and often does, contain WMF data.

Both these vector formats can also contain images. AFAICS, killustrator
cannot embed kparts. So, my next task is to fix this in killustrator. Then
all vector graphics (inclucing embedded images) will end up there.

> > 3. changing the default way kword handles images.  I like the way Kword
> > now does it - in a simple way.  Use Qt - QImage or QPixmap, keeping the
> > image data taken from a file in a qt format for kword to show.

I will keep this mechanism only for data which MSword fitler knows is an
image directly. Embedded images in vector graphics will be killustrator's to
handle.

Optimisaitng kword and killustrator to use krayon can come later.

Thanks, Shaheed