List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Menustructure Illustrator+Freehand vs KIllu
From:       Thomas <zander () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2000-11-22 10:41:46

> I compared Illustrator 8.0 and Freehand 7.0 yesterday. It's interesting to
> see they have _the_same_ menu-structure (i used Illustrator names where
> they differ):

Personally I think both Illustrator and Freehand have a steep leurning curve
so copying it is a bad idea.

> FILE  EDIT  OBJECT  TEXT  FILTER  VIEW  WINDOWS  HELP
>
> If we like to comply to this - IMHO very sensible - structure, we have to
> change the following things:
>
> - Remove Toplevel INSERT, this belongs to FILE and is represented there by
> IMPORT already

Hmm, yes I think so.

> - PROPERTIES in EDIT belongs to OBJECT. In EDIT there should only be
> generic editing-stuff like CUT, PASTE, MARK ALL etc
>
> - VIEW is already nice, but i would arrange it like above

No, it should adhere to the kde-styleguide.

> - TOOLS, hmm... these are only shurt cuts to the mouse-functions. Actually
> it's a waste of space. A graphic app without a mouse is useless.

but there should always be menu-entries for toolbar entries. (i.e. the toolbars
should be a subset of the menu bar).
I think a Insert->Tools and a Modify->tools could solve that, not sure
though.

> - Remove LAYOUT: PAGE, GRID, and HELPLINES have to go to SETTINGS which
> should reside in FILE. ALIGN TO XXX belongs into VIEW, these are switches
> which define, how the canvas works -> view.

Settings should always be a submenu of its own (or was that configure [app] ?)
We are still making KDE apps here ;)

<etc>

> And a general question: should KIllu-stuff be discussed publicly or is it
> sufficent if i discuss this with Szymonek (is this spelled right ?) ?

please keep it public.

IMO the Illustrator menu 'Object' is to general and contains far to much
stuff, and it doesn't help that anything you draw is an object. (including text)

I kinda like an insert and modify menu to directly insert and change
objects. A layout and an arrange set of menus to modify the
positioning/displaying of these objects seems a logical extention to that.

It might be nice to rename help-lines to 'guides' as is standard in other
drawing software.

But I have not spent a lot of time in killustrator...