List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koStore tweaks needed? (long)
From:       "Shaheed Haque" <shaheedhaque () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2000-11-07 18:16:41

Hi David,

>This naming scheme was designed to look better to the user. But from the
>program
>point of view, you're not supposed to see such URLs. Internal urls in
>koffice,
>for historical reasons are, for the document above,
[snip]

Yes, my concept was that since filter writers only ever use the tar:/0
format, I can hide this change in the koStore code...so no filter writer
will see this change.

>I'm just not sure that introducing changes to the storage layout are a good
>idea
>at this point (it would certainly discourage writers of koffice import
>filters for other
>office suites, and it means more compatibility code in koffice), if we can
>avoid it.
>Does using internal names instead of external ones help ?

See above...I really think that the only extra/new code required is in
koStore (and in OLEfilter to take advantage of the cross-filter embedding).
Since no other filters do embedding, this is likely not to be a problem.
And, by definition, anyone trying to write embeddeding filter with the 2.0
codebase will have the same difficulties that I am :-).

>About pictures, I definitely prefer if they are under a subdir. For
>instance in a
>kpresenter file, they tend to come in huge number, so better have them
>separated.
>(Less mess when untarring a file).

An excellent point! Let me know if you have any other thoughts, as I'll
start hacking stuff up.

Thanks, Shaheed