On Mon, 19 Dec 2011, Carl Schumann wrote: > I am working on an application for which a QTableWidget or QTableView > would be the obvious to me choice. Unfortunately, I get sluggish > behavior. I took a look at KOffice's spreadsheet program, kspread. > It also has a need for a similar user interface and its performance on > my systems is acceptable. When I dig into the kpsread code it appears > they are not using the QTableWidget or QTableView for the sheets in the > workbook, but instead using lower level Qt to manage the sheet user > interface. > > Am I correct that KOffice does not QTableWidget/View for the sheets > UI? Was this done for performance reasons? The main reason is an historic one: KSpread started in KDE 1 times which predates the Qt 2 QTable class and particularly the Qt 4 item view classes. Apart from the required porting effort performance (and customization possibilities) might be reasons but even then, the QTable* classes aren't necessarily unsuitable for bigger amounts of data. Note there is a difference between QTableWidget and QTableView. And even for the latter it plays a role how your model performs. Can you see the sluggishness with QTableView and a trivial QAbstractItemModel implementation that serves data in a leight-weight manner? Harri. _______________________________________________ koffice-devel mailing list koffice-devel@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/koffice-devel The KOffice team has split into KOffice and Calligra suite. You find the Calligra project on the calligra-devel@kde.org mailing list. More information at www.koffice.org and www.calligra-suite.org.