List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Platform support / Roadmap
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-09-24 8:39:30

On Thursday 22 September 2011 13.15.31 Markus Slopianka wrote:
> Hi.
> Now that KOffice has narrowed its focus for the upcoming version, I was
> wondering how that affects other operating systems beside Linux.
> Are FreeBSD, Windows, and Mac OS X still supported platforms or is the
> focus now Linux / X11 systems with the possibility that changes to the
> code base may affect KOffice's ability to compile under Windows?

Hi Markus,

thats a good question indeed.
I have been doing a lot of work in koffice libs to make them more clean, more
easy to maintain and generally to make it easier for 3rd party developers to
build on things.
That was phase one,
phase two is to move many components out of KOffice into plugins so for the user
there is no loss in functionality but the rather huge KOffice codebase gets
devided into chunks.

The KOffice codebase is in pretty good shape and as far as I know its quite
cross-platform.
I have compiled it fully on a Windows box  some months back (in vs8), so as
far as I am concerned breakages in that area are bugs to be fixed.

So, to give a direct answer; our focus being narrower is for maintainability
of ourcodebase, which should help, not detract from, portability to different
suites.

> My second question is if there are any somewhat concrete plans about the
> release date of 2.4.
> http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=KOffice2/Roadmap is outdated.

Right, time flies...
I am hoping to get ready in step with the KDE4.8 release and follow their
freezes policy and thus release on the same date.

http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.8_Release_Schedule

Robert, others, what do you think about that?

--
Thomas Zander