List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Platform support / Roadmap
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-09-24 8:39:30

On Thursday 22 September 2011 13.15.31 Markus Slopianka wrote:
> Hi.
> Now that KOffice has narrowed its focus for the upcoming version, I was
> wondering how that affects other operating systems beside Linux.
> Are FreeBSD, Windows, and Mac OS X still supported platforms or is the
> focus now Linux / X11 systems with the possibility that changes to the
> code base may affect KOffice's ability to compile under Windows?

Hi Markus,

thats a good question indeed.
I have been doing a lot of work in koffice libs to make them more clean, \
more  easy to maintain and generally to make it easier for 3rd party \
developers to  build on things.
That was phase one,
phase two is to move many components out of KOffice into plugins so for the \
user  there is no loss in functionality but the rather huge KOffice \
codebase gets  devided into chunks.

The KOffice codebase is in pretty good shape and as far as I know its quite \
 cross-platform.
I have compiled it fully on a Windows box  some months back (in vs8), so as \
 far as I am concerned breakages in that area are bugs to be fixed.

So, to give a direct answer; our focus being narrower is for \
maintainability  of ourcodebase, which should help, not detract from, \
portability to different  suites.

> My second question is if there are any somewhat concrete plans about the
> release date of 2.4.
> http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=KOffice2/Roadmap is outdated.

Right, time flies...
I am hoping to get ready in step with the KDE4.8 release and follow their
freezes policy and thus release on the same date.

http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.8_Release_Schedule

Robert, others, what do you think about that?

--
Thomas Zander