List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Renames in KOffice
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-06-18 8:35:11

heads up people,

after Calligra forked the koffice sources they renamed the apps and naturally
the suite itself, but all the classes in the libs kept the same name.  Which
means that calligra will ship with classes prefixed with "Ko".  This means
that installing calligra installs header files also on actual users computers
that follow the koffice naming style.
In effect, this means a user can't have both calligra and koffice libs
installed at the same time.
As I suspect distros and people might want to mix and match from both suites
this is a problem.  The arbitration put that in front of the calligra people
but they declined to change their headers to not be prefixed with "Ko"
anymore.

The last week I have renamed the majority of the classes in KOffice to no
longer have the name "Ko" in front of them and thus make both suites co-
installable.

I've worked at Qt DF and naturally designing libraries is something you
learn there. Its the bread and butter of that company and has been for 15
years. As such I took the opportunity to optimize the classes for usability.
Especially flake APIs have been polished with details like KoShape no longer
being an abstract class and us having a new KShapeConnection class for
proper shape-to-shape connections.

As a second change I made the difference between public classes that 3rd
parties can depend on, and classes that are essentially koffice-private.  The
koffice-private classes are things like KoView and KoDocument. We install the
headers and people can use it. But there is no API or binary compatibility
promise given for them.  People ending up using the private APIs now get an
extra heads up that they are using private APIs that can break their apps.
So they might want to optimize to use KCanvasBase and KODfDocument
respectively for the above examples :)

Tomorrow the API docs should be re-generated on
http://www.koffice.org/developer/apidocs/
with the updated names. A couple are already visible by now.

If you are developing a plugin for koffice chances are high you will have
compile issues now. I'm so sorry about that! Let me know if I can help out,
I have some scripts to do the renames if I can get access to the APIs.

Thanks guys!
--
Thomas Zander