List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice
From:       todd rme <toddrme2178 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-02-02 15:07:35

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 3:01 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 1, 2011, Cyrille Berger Skott wrote:
>> Your file does not have the ok of group B.
>
> Dear people of "Group B",
>
> Your chosen group naming system is not only abstract and meaningless to anyone
> who isn't in your clique, it does rather little more than to make you appear
> non-serious and petty to people on the outside. Why is that? Because it can't
> be taken serious and it is, ultimately, petty.
>
> As someone who wishes all the best for Calligra and KOffice both, I wish you
> to put aside your emotional issues and move on with your projects. Prioritize
> your goals over your anger and feelings of betrayal, well earned though they
> may be.
>
> Let's be honest with each other here: rather than just getting down to work
> you are squabbling over the word "KOffice" which is a brand name that has
> precisely zero real world value. You are dragging out an issue for no other
> reason than your own emotional benefit, because nobody other than you cares
> about who gets to be the next KOffice. All we care about is the next release
> of your software, whatever you decide to call it. Everything else in this case
> is a distraction and a detraction.
>
> So please, stand up as the group of adults the rest of us know you to be and
> walk on proudly as Calligra and as KOffice. You will find support for your
> efforts and aims if you do so, and you will find increasing derision and sorce
> if you don't. Either way, you will have worked hard to earn it. Realize what
> you ultimately desire and work towards that.
>
> But the longer you all drown in this muck pool of sqabbling over who gets a
> name nobody outside of this little mailing list gives a fuck about, the worse
> it all becomes. Were you fighting over a name with actual real world value, it
> might be understandable, but you aren't. The rest of us just care about the
> products and about our community not festering on and on over an issue whose
> time has come and gone. For the love of all that is sane, let the water flow
> under the bridge as you cross it. Work on Calligra and/or KOffice and make
> them awesome. Find peace. Stop fighting over things without value.
>
> Peace is not found in defeating others, it is in finding your own success.
>
> Cheers ...

I'm not a developer of either group, although I do follow the mailing
lists (and the libreoffice one).  I don't exactly understand your
issue here.  By all appearances Calligra is making rapid progress,
they are "getting down to work".  Group A might be as well, but I
don't see as any discussion or review requests about their progress
coming through so I don't know.  So I don't quite understand exactly
what the complaint is.

At least by my perception, this is less an issue about the koffice
name itself, and more an issue of sticking to prior agreements.  There
was an agreement to rename applications.  This has not happened.
There was an agreement to follow an arbitration process.  This has not
happened.  At least to me, even if I didn't care a lick about the
koffice name, I would still oppose these moves simply because they
violate prior agreements.

I also find it hard to understand you singling out the Calligra
community for being petty on this, considering I would say they are
simply reacting to an even more petty move by group A.  The attempts
to co-opt the Koffice name before the arbitration process is complete
is just as much an effort to squabble over the name.  I find it
strange that when one side makes an aggressive move to assert their
dominance in a position, and the other side attempts to defend
themselves that you single out the defenders for scolding while
ignoring the side that instigated the conflict in the first place.

Also, as a user and not a developer, I feel the koffice name has much
more value than you seem to.  Not intrinsic value, or value it has
built itself.  It has value because the name implies this is THE
official KDE office suite.  It has the weight of the KDE name behind
it.  This, in my opinion as a KDE user, gives it enormous value.  At
least as a user, the name koffice implies that this is KDE's own
office suite, and if one group that gets control of that name it is
like getting the endorsement of KDE, that this group is the one that
gets to carry the KDE name, that this is the group that gets to carry
on the history of THE KDE office suite.

So in other words, the value is not in it being "koffice", the value
is in the "k" alone I would say.  That is personally why I am opposed
to either suite being called koffice, or any name derived from KDE.  I
think it would be seen as giving the KDE community's stamp of approval
to one group as the official office suite of KDE.  I think ownership
of the name has the same implication.

Now I know this may not reflect the intended message of the decision,
but as a KDE user the KDE name has a great deal of value, so where you
decide to put it gives a great deal of weight and should not be a
decision made lightly.

-Todd