List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice 2.3.0
From:       Cyrille Berger Skott <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2010-12-29 15:07:26

On Wednesday 29 December 2010, Bartosz Świątek wrote:
> 2010/12/29 Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at>:
> > On Wednesday 29 December 2010, Bartosz Świątek wrote:
> >> I was wondering if you plan on moving to or adding support for libwpd
> >> 0.9 and libwpg 0.2.
> >
> > For the upcoming Fedora 15, this is a requirement to have libwp* support
> > at all (unless we drag compatibility libraries through the new package
> > review process), we don't have the old versions in Rawhide anymore. The
> > current Rawhide KOffice package has libwp* support disabled.
> >
> >> I seem to have managed the issue with libwpd 0.9 for koffice 2.2.2
> >> (and since the code didn't change in 2.3 this would probably apply
> >> there too - here's the patch
> >> http://cvs.pld-linux.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/packages/kde4-koffice/kde4-koffi
> >> ce- libwpdg.patch?rev=1.3)
> >
> > I see there's revision 1.5 now:
> > http://cvs.pld-linux.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/packages/kde4-koffice/kde4-koffic
> > e- libwpdg.patch?rev=1.5
> > with incomplete libwpg 0.2 support.
>
> Yes, I made my first steps in that direction, but as said earlier, I'm
> stuck on OdgExporter.cxx which calls lots of primitive routines, that
> do not exist in libwpg 0.2 anymore.
>
> Unfortunately the libwpg folks didn't care to document what exactly
> changed and what to use instead, which makes the porting think yet a
> bit more painful.
>
> >> -  FIND_LIBRARY(LIBWPG_STREAM_LIBRARIES NAMES wpg-stream-0.1
> >> libwpg-stream-0.1
> >> +  FIND_LIBRARY(LIBWPG_STREAM_LIBRARIES NAMES libwpg-stream-0.1
> >> wpg-stream-0.1 libwpd-stream-0.9 wpd-stream-0.9
> >
> > Are you sure this is right? You add libwpd-stream as equivalent to
> > libwpg- stream in FindWPG.cmake, wouldn't it make more sense to search
> > for that in FindWPD.cmake?
>
> I'm not 100% sure, but it makes sense to me, as libwpd-stream-0.9
> obsoletes libwpg-stream completely. There is no libwpg-strem-0.2 now.
> I didn't want to totally rewrite the .cmake file, so I just made sure
> it finds -stream libs and defines its "FOUND" variable.
>
> Feel free to correct my logic.
>
> > Especially considering that it's used where libwpd is used:
> >> +#if LIBWPD_VERSION_MINOR>8
> >> +#include <libwpd-stream/libwpd-stream.h>
> >> +#else
> >>  #include <libwpd/WPXStream.h>
> >>  #include <libwpd/WPXHLListenerImpl.h>
> >> +#endif
> >>
> >> but libwpg seems a bit more complicated (I'm stuck
> >> on OdgExporter.cxx right now).
> >
> > Do you think you can sort it out? Do you need any help?
>
> Well, it is really hard to look for an API that will replace the old
> one when you don't even know what really changed and what's the
> equivalent to it.
>
> I googled a lot these days and found an interesting conversation with
> one of the libwpg developers (who doesn't care about koffice at all)
> who believed it was trivial to port these things (to which i agree in
> case of libwpd, but libwpg seems to be a different story).

Well the original author is Ariya Hidayat who used to be a koffice developers,
I am CCing in hope he knows what has changed and who we can ask for more
details.

I did a quick browse through the source code, it seems the wpg filter in
koffice is actually generating the odg file, and it seems that it is doing the
ODG generation, my guess is that it is not needed with wpg 0.2, meaning that
the filter would need to be rewritten, I don't think this is an acceptable
change for a stable branch. For distribution that does not support
installation of multiple library versions, I would suggest to drop the wpg
support for koffice 2.3, and to add to their documentation how to convert wpg
files to odg using wpg2odg that is provided with wpg 0.2.

--
Cyrille Berger Skott