List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: MULTIPLE.OPERATIONS
From:       Marijn Kruisselbrink <m.kruisselbrink () student ! tue ! nl>
Date:       2010-12-17 9:47:52

On Friday, December 17, 2010 01:32:34 am Yue Liu wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Frank Weng (a.k.a. Franklin)
>
> <franklin@goodhorse.idv.tw> wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > It's been a very long time since I asked this question last time.  I
> > didn't get answers that time, and now I'm reviewing our translations so
> > I'd like to ask again.
> >
> > In kspread.po,
> >
> > "MULTIPLE.OPERATIONS executes the formula expression pointed to by
> > FormulaCell and all formula expressions it depends on while replacing all
> > references to RowCell with references to RowReplacement respectively all
> > references to ColumnCell with references to ColumnReplacement."
> >
> > I really can't understand this 35-word sentence.  Could anyone please use
> > a simpler way to explain this operation?
> >
> I believe there are some typos, however I didn't involve the
> developement of kspread so I don't know what should be right.

I don't think there are really any typos, but I'm also not sure how to better
describe it...

MULTIPLE.OPERATIONS is a function that has several parameters, one of them is
a reference to a cell containing a formula. The result of the M.O function is
the result of evaluating that formula. But, before the formula is evaluated,
all references in it (and in formulas referenced by it) that are equal to the
reference specified by the RowCell or ColumnCell parameters will be replaced
with the value or reference specified by the RowReplacement or
ColumnReplacement parameters. (the row/column in the names of these parameters
is merely a hint to a typical usecase of this function where you have a table
of values where you apply the same operation to all rows or columns (or both),
but you can use it for arbitrary references).

If the above is any clearer, I would be happy if somebody could distill it in
a bit better description in the xml file.

Marijn