List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Re: Calligra translations are enabled
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-12-15 19:07:20

On Wednesday 15 December 2010 Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:

> There's also a question if the desire "All KDE applications should be
> co-installable without conflicts." is realistic and if this is the
> purpose of KDE Project, which is not about deployment but about
> delivery of the software in source code form (except for KDE on
> Windows and partially KDE on Mac, no idea about Solaris now). I am
> asking this because I think there's no realistic solution if we add
> "3rd party KDE apps" to the set of "KDE apps". Moreover, nobody can
> block development of a fork of any app within the KDE infrastructure,
> even conflicting each other.

We can't prevent external parties to create conflicting installations, but
within the KDE community it should be possible to avoid these conflicts,
shouldn't it? This is part of the high technical quality we are striving for.
Even with source code this is a problem, and having no installation conflicts
makes distributor's life easy, which always has been one of our goals.

Technically it's easy to avoid it by renaming conflicting files. It is some
work, but certainly possible.

> I think once the sitution clears up, one of {Calligra|KOffice-A}
> suites will be practically more like 3rd-party than the other. Is this
> an issue at all? Isn't it a task for distros to resolve?

It is up to the distros to choose, which office suites they want to ship. It
is up to us to make sure that the code base we maintain as a community is
consistent and lives up to our expectations. So we'll have to take some
decisions at least, like which are the default odf applications in a default
KDE installation.