List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    help koffice: fix a test and report it here
From:       Jos van den Oever <jos.van.den.oever () kogmbh ! com>
Date:       2010-11-06 12:56:48

Hi all,

As you should be aware there is a build server running for koffice that shows
problems that are still left in the code and are considered release blockers.
Most of these problems are very easy to fix, some are harder.

Here is a small guide on how you can help koffice reduce the number of release
blockers. I hope people will try to fix some problems and report on their
efforts in this thread.

The build server can be found here:
  http://158.36.191.251:8080/
Click on "Login as a Guest User" to log in.

Once logged in you'll see two projects:
  default: Tests failed 32, passed 1211
  kofficetests: Tests failed: 237, passed 2789

kofficetests is the easiest to help with. Click on the latest run and you'll see
the details of the tests. kofficetests runs tests on a large collection of
documents from the kofficetests repository.
  http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/tests/kofficetests/
  svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/tests/kofficetests

Each file is opened with one of these commands:
  kword --roundtrip-filename out.odt --benchmark-loading --nocrashhandler $file
  kpresenter --roundtrip-filename out.odp --benchmark-loading --nocrashhandler
$file
  kspread --roundtrip-filename out.ods --benchmark-loading --nocrashhandler
$file
If the file is a microsoft format, the '--roundtrip-filename' part is left out.
A test fails if either of these things happens:
  - the command crashed
  - the resulting file was invalid ODF (checked with
koffice/tools/scripts/validateODF.py

Choose a test you think you can fix and once you committed the fix, the build
server will re-run the tests.

To find, where in the code most crashes occur, have a look at the file
backtraces.svg that can be found under 'Artifacts'. I have attached the latest
one to this mail. I connects the code points leading to a crash in a nice
graph. If the line is thicker, more files cause this crash.

Good luck,
Jos

--
Jos van den Oever, software architect