List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Principles for new name
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2010-11-05 12:55:06

The time has come to choose on a new name for our software. I'm sure there
will be lots of suggestions, some good, some, eh, maybe not optimal. :-)

Before we start throwing out suggestions for names, I thought it would be
useful to discuss a little about what we want to achieve. Here is my personal
view; please add more input.

What we are creating now is something that will last a long time. A man
teaching me about the advertising industry once said "A new trademark is
completely empty. It almost doesn't matter what it is, but it should be simple
and easy to remember. The real value comes from what you put into it." This
means that whatever name we come up with will eventually be as good as any
other, but it should still follow a few principles. The two below are based in
science, the rest are my opinion.

1. It should sound friendly.  I think we in the KDE community is a bit unlucky
here, because K is a very hard letter.  K<whatever> just has a slightly
unfriendly feel to it. For instance Dolphin is a much friendlier name than
Konqueror. Besides, the K names are not really favoured any more.

2. It turns out that companies with a name that begins in A have on average
50% higher revenue than other companies. This is because companies are mostly
sorted alphabetically in lists. People often don't have the energy or
knowledge to pick the best choice, so they just take something near the
beginning. Perhaps we could take advantage of this and have a first letter
near the start of the alphabet.  (Blue Office would be very good here, but
there were other problems with that. Perhaps we could just call it A Office or
the A Suite? :-P)

3. I think we should consider calling it <something> Suite instead of
<something> Office.  This would make it more suitable(!) for Karbon and Krita
since they have indicated that their users don't like them to be part of an
office package. It would also be easier to enhance the package later with
other applications. Maybe something like DigiKam could be part of the
Suite(tm) sometimes in the future?  (note: this is not a suggestion, just an
loose thought)

4. Regarding the individual applications, I think we have two choices:
 - to call them <name> writer, <name> calc or something generic like that,
where <name> is the name we give the entire package.
 - to give them individual real names. A good example is the applications in
Apple iWork: Pages, Numbers and Keynote
I would prefer the second, but I'm not strongly in either camp.

Then of course there are the other normal considerations like domain names,
etc.

But PLEASE don't suggest any "funny" names that draw chuckles on an IRC
channel but will be dragging us down for all future to come.