List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: one more bit of unasked-for input on the forking of the KOffice
From:       Sven Langkamp <sven.langkamp () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-10-30 1:12:08

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 8:22 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org> wrote:

> hi everyone...
>
> i hope you won't mind one more bit of unsolicited input on the recent fork
> in
> this community. feel free to ignore any or all of it, of course :)
>
> ======
>
> personally, i find it unfortunate and sad that it has come to this, simply
> because it is never nice to see splits in any community, especially ones
> that
> we are a part of. sometimes things get to the point where it is the only
> workable solution left, and after discussing various relevant issues with a
> few different people in koffice over the last year i can understand how
> that
> may be the case here. still, it's unfortunate.
>
> such circumstances do present an opportunity to grow and strengthen,
> however.
> i am hopeful that is what will happen here.
>
> koffice iteslf is not a strategically significant component for KDE. that
> may
> sound harsh, but i believe it to be true today. the user base is small,
> years
> of releases did not culminate into a (market-)significant product over the
> same time span in which 2.0-4.0 of the KDE SC was develped and released,
> etc.
>
> it has provided some great value for KDE, however: it has helped strengthen
> kdelibs, it has brought KDE some very positive light and recognition via
> key
> involvement with ODF and some apps like Krita and Kexi have had their well
> deserved moments of shining in the press. and of course those of us who use
> KOffice applications are deeply grateful for it.
>
> however, the truth is that without KOffice, KDE itself would continue on
> without a huge shift in direction or even a huge hit on brand values. ergo,
> it
> isn't (today) strategically significant. but it could be.
>
> many of you here are working directly towards that and making immense
> strides
> to making KOffice applications very signficant, be it Kexi's continue
> movement
> forward (and the communication around that movement! so key!) or the office
> document veiwer for mobile or various other efforts underway. there is a
> huge
> amount of work being done on KOffice these days, as evidenced by the commit
> logs and the review requests that appear on the list. i do believe that one
> day KOffice can be a very signficant technology group for KDE from a
> strategic
> POV.
>
> being in this "in between" state means that KOffice has the space to make
> significant shifts without risking too much value in the process. if this
> had
> to happen, now is a "good" time.
>
> it probably also means that as this happens, a significant effort will be
> [...]

I agree that leadership is part problem. I think the recent development of
the Krita community shows the way out. Since the 2.0 the Krita developer
team has tripled in size, there is a growing community of non-developer
community members and Krita is reaching for user-readyness in 2.3.

I think there are several things:

Most important is that the Krita team trusts the work of every team member.
Development is very open. People are allowed to make mistakes and these will
resolved collaborative. That's something I'm missing in the a part of the
KOffice community. Too often peoples work is blocked, trashed in endless
dicussions and reverts.

Vision. Last year we developed a vision for Krita. It's just three
sentences, but is provides a guide for the further Krita development. I
think the Krita vision lead to a much better working application as it
allowed us to focus on the important things. For the other applications we
don't have a formal vision. That leads to a situation where team members
have different opinions about features that are important or not e.g. about
the importance of MS Office compatibility.

The Leadership thing. There is the big goal of user-readyness that we want
to reach, but my impression is that we are not really getting closer to it.
After more than four year of development in 2.x the core applications are
still not ready, which is just bad. Krita development did suffer from times
where we did open too many construction sites and I see the same happening
in KOffice too. There were some advanced features done before the basic
functionality was working good. The users don't use KOffice because it's too
unstable and not because it's missing features.

These are the things that a fork (and the other suite) need to solve to
become successful.