List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Usability issue to connection shape
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-10-29 16:28:28

On Friday 29. October 2010 16.57.56 Yue Liu wrote:
> Currently there is no difference between selecting a connection shape
> with selecting other shapes, but selecting a connection shape is
> useless. With a connection shape selected you can do nothing useful,
> it is in edit mode that you can move the endpoints of a connector or
> adjust connector routine. Is it possible to let connection shape enter
> edit mode automatically after selected?

I think you are right, having a connector selected and moving it around with
the default tool is probably not very useful.
The green outline I see when I select a connection is making me wonder if we
want to select it in the first place.
While playing with one connection I noticed that if you have two shapes with a
connection in between its possible to select the connection. You can then
rotate and skew it, which just looks wrong.

What may be a good idea is to make sure that whenever the user clicks the
connection he is automatically redirected to the path tool. This is possible by
adding some code to the default tool. (which is a plugin)
So instead of the default tool adding the shape to the selection on mouse
release, we instead activate the path tool.

How does that sound?
--
Thomas Zander