List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice split
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-10-27 7:57:39

On Wednesday 27. October 2010 08.50.44 Cyrille Berger Skott wrote:
> The reason it was suggested to move forward with a KOffice split, instead
> of  following your suggestion, is that it is widely acknowledge that the
> problem are not related to Desktop vs Mobile, if it was so, it would only
> have started a year ago, but KOffice has been into troubly water for
> longer than that, it might have worked ok when I joined, but as
> applications became more and more coupled the situation became worse.

I agree with you there, the desktop vs mobile differentiation is not a good one.
The differentiation I wrote about in my email is two groups that have a different
focus, any focus. The focus itself is not the important part. In the last year
this focus has been very strongly on the mobile version for commercial
purposes. Its about the MSOffice compatibility and feature completeness. Again,
not just mobile.
The point to take away is not the focus itself, the point is the way of working
and lack of working together with people that have a different focus. Even in
this thread you try to ignore the difference in focus; it should be at the
forefront at all times, you can't expect anyone to work together if you don't
agree on the goals. Isn't that obvious?

With this background, maybe you can re-read my mail. The main point is the way
of working with a community in an open model with open hearted and fair
discussions. Design discussions to get to a good solution even before people
submit a patch is a great thing to strive for.

--
Thomas Zander