List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Bugs against the Essen branch
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-09-23 20:01:04

On Thursday 23. September 2010 18.39.10 Pierre Stirnweiss wrote:
> Even if individually they all seem pretty harmless with quite a minimal
> impact on the community, the overall behaviour seems to imply that there
> are two types of citizens now: the ones who adhere to the community's
> rules and the ones who can bend the rules when it suits them. I am not
> very easy with this. It gives me more and more the feeling that KOffice is
> moving from "a community project with welcomed commercial interest
> contributions" to "a commercial interest project with welcomed community
> contribution".

Your mail is very well written and it hit me how true your points are. I have
to say I agree with everything you wrote.
The thing that stands out here is the analogy with getting up for the elderly
and giving him your seat on the bus. I have the feeling we are more and more in
a situation where we have to say; "Hey, please let him sit, you can stand".

> I just had to put this out of my chest, because I feel less and less at
> ease with all this.

Thank you.

You are not alone; I've read emails from multiple parties saying they wanted to
work on KOffice or wanted to put funding into KOffice but did not do so because
nasty political issues in the community. (paraphrasing)

--
Thomas Zander