List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Bugs against the Essen branch
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2010-09-23 19:03:40

On Thursday 23 September 2010, Pierre Stirnweiss wrote:
> > I don't understand this... We are moving to git for its "easy" branching
> > capabilities, and yet, the people who are the most supporting are
> > opposing our
> > current branch... It is going to get worse in the future...
>
> I have never understood the moving to git as meaning: we will not have
> periods "when it is good if everybody could dedicate time into make koffice
> more stable" anymore.
Lets say it like this, hopefully, they will be shorter. For the simple
reasons, that most features require a lot of incremental changes and therefor
commits. In svn, those commits are made in trunk, so at some points we need to
take two monthes to fix all the issues that have come from those commits. In
git, the features that requires a lot of changes are developed in branch,
"trunk" will be a branch that is supposed to be in a releasable state at all
time, meaning that it should not contain any release blocker (for instance, a
broken unit test), or that this release blocker should get the highest
priority. And a branch can be merged in "trunk" only if it does not introduce
release blocker, and when the feature is considered to be user ready.

--
Cyrille Berger