List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Introduction
From:       Thorsten Zachmann <t.zachmann () zagge ! de>
Date:       2010-09-11 4:20:43

On Friday 10 September 2010 19:08:07 brian@amason.net wrote:
> No I haven't built KOffice yet. I'm going to have to build a dev machine
> first. I can't risk messing up any production box, or my wife's box
> (tempting though).
>
> I'd like to help add import export functionality to Kivio, for one thing.
> Especially to read/write Dia's formats, and also the AutoCad dxf format.
> Which would make diagrams much more portable. I'd be happy to work on any
> bugs to get started. I'll slap together a temporary box to get started on
> this weekend and get my first KOffice compile going. I would ask though to
> limit them to kivio. At least to start out with. I'm sure the learning
> curve is challenging. I'd like to see Kivio eventually at a level like
> Smartdraw. Wouldn't hurt to have a Smartdraw and Visio import/export
> either. I have lots of ideas. ;)

I had a short look about kivio bugs but most bugs there about 1.6 has code
wise not much in common with kivio 2.x. I'm sure once you have kivio from
trunk running that you will find bugs when using it. You can then either try to
find out alone on where to problem is or ask to get pointer on how the bugs can
be fixed.
But as it seems you are very keen to work on getting import/export ready you
can also work on that. Note that changes going there should be done in the
branch as trunk is frozen and only bug fixing is allowed at the moment.
Filters work in converting the file format you like to read to odf. Which then
will be loaded into kivio. If you have any questions about odf feel free to
ask.

Thorsten