List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice policies and copyright policy
From:       zander () kde ! org
Date:       2010-09-06 10:54:12

On Friday 3. September 2010 10.15.07 Cyrille Berger wrote:
> Also more the policy is more about being safe and conservative, than to be
> strictly accurate. Since as mentioned by the SFLC, a wrong copyright line
> is  just legally null, a missing one, however, is a legal threat.

This is incorrect; you are limiting your view to the usage of the claim to
copyright as a defensive point to infringement.
This is not the only point of view; we have files in KWord that have been
started by people 15 years ago and they have dissapeared.
If you claim those lines can not be removed even while I am pretty darn sure
there is no copyright left, then in some cases I am forced to throw away a LOT
of good code if I want to do some relicencing (like we recently did to
(L)GPLv2+) or similar.

The law says that if I remove someone's content I don't have to attribute that
person anymore. Your proposal for a policy goes against that because you
(correctly) point out that its not 100% clear.
If its not 100% clear we should not use it as a rule, we should use it as a
rule of thumb. Something that can be broken if you know what you are doing.

--
Thomas Zander