List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Fast-track for commits with unit tests
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-09-04 20:27:22

On Friday 3. September 2010 18.59.07 Cyrille Berger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I often hear that the use of reviewboard is slowing down the work. And that
> we lack unit tests. And many review requests show in comment and request
> for an unit test.
>
> I would therefor suggest that we add to our reviewboard policy [1], the
> possibility to commit directly, without a need for prereview, in case, the
> change comes with a unit test, that show how the previous behavior was
> wrong and fix it. And of course, under the condition that the fix does not
> break any other unit test.

This in principle is a good idea, if applied well.

There is a risk, as outlined by various commenters, that good willing
individuals write code with a unit test and without a review still can do
things wrong.
The fact that a unit test is written doesn't mean the initial reasons for
starting to use review board are taken away. I can write a unit test to test
new behavior and 'fix' the code. But that new behavior should still be the
agreed upon correct behavior.
So the initial reason for introducing reviewboard is still valid; we wanted to
have a consensus of at least one more developer that the intended new behavior
was the correct one.

I'm having trouble understanding the conclusion that adding unit tests to the
mix somehow takes away the consensus building that reviewboard added.

Maybe we can have a way that we can build consensus and get more people to help
out with things like coding style and helping writing unit tests and in general
help with the code quality. People helping getting the quality up, in other
words. Then the review board can take less time.
We've seen instances where it takes 1 hour at most, so I don't think using
reviewboard *has* to slow things down.

In short; I'd be against this change.
--
Thomas Zander