List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Report from Budapest
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2010-09-03 16:33:31

Hi KOffice developers,

As some of you may already know, I and Jos van den Oever have spent the last
week in Budapest attending the OpenOffice.org conference.  One of the events
of the conference was a so called "Interoperability Demo" that was arranged by
OASIS.

The reason for the interoperability demo was the end of the public comment
period for ODF 1.2, something that means that ODF 1.2 is now in a way "done".
So OASIS invited as many representatives they could find for various
developers of software that implement at least a part of the new features in
ODF 1.2.  In this interop demo, there were a number of presentations as well
as a scenario where a document was created by one program and then passed on
and edited by the other applications to show how interoperable ODF is.

I and Suresh Chande from Nokia gave a presentation about metadata in ODF,
stored in RDF triples. I think most of you have seen the videos and blogs from
Ben who implemented this. We also showed a demonstration where a document was
loaded into KWord and we added a vcard (name, telephone number, ...) to the
document and then saved it to a file.  The file was then transferred to
Suresh' N900 mobile phone where he showed it using FreOffice and then picked
up the vcard and the telephone number and placed a call to my mobile phone
withing dialling any number. This drew a few raised eyebrows. :-)

The interoperability demo itself involved all the applications. First out was
OFS, a company with a new product: an extension to OpenOffice.org that makes
it possible to collaborate over webdav on a document and at the same time
apply some interesting security features.  The document was picked up by lPod,
a scripting system that can be used to handle ODF documents with just
scripting, a little like our Kross based scripting shell in KOffice 1.6. The
lPod script created a presentation from the text document and a few others,
which was then handled to KPresenter.  From there, it was OO Impress and then
FreOffice again.

The interop demo worked well, except that KPresenter didn't show the bullets
correctly.  I don't think anybody noticed, but it was a little irritating
nevertheless. Other than that it worked flawlessly.

Other than that, there have been a number of interesting presentations at the
conference, some great social events and a lot of meetings with nice people.
KOffice is regarded as one of the big boys now, and gets a lot of respect.  I
think it's our mobile edition that is the main cause of that, so it seems that
our decision at the last sprint to make that a higher priority was the right
one.

I'm writing this on the plane home, so I will add another mail with some links
to the conference website and possibly videos of the presentations when I'm
back home. I will also write a dot article with pictures.

	-Inge