List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice policies and copyright policy
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2010-09-03 14:54:38

On Friday 03 September 2010, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > Because I work in the academic world where correct attribution is very
> > important, I'm a little resistant to the idea of giving someone a
> > copyright on code that they've hardly contributed to.  If one of my
> > students did that and turned it in as a project I would probably give
> > him a failing grade and bring him (or her) up on honor charges.  I
> > realize that an open source is very different from a classroom project,
> > but I think some of the same concerns apply.  I'd feel a lot more
> > confident about adopting a policy on this if someone with some
> > professional legal experience had looked it over first, to catch any
> > glaring errors or loopholes.
>
> You have to consider that currently members of our community are engaged
> in  what I would call a copyright-claim-war, the main goal of that policy
> is to put an end to it, this is why there is an urgency, this is why we
> can't wait for a possible KDE one or to get legal advice. But again, at
> the end of the week, nothing will be set in stone, it will be a guideline
> to use for the next few months, until we get an answer from the FSF, EFF
> or SFLC, or that KDE get a guideline of its own.
And for the record, we are not talking about people who are adding a copyright
claim without any reason on a file, but people who have written code in that
file, and then 3 years later, through various refactoring, it looks like their
code is gone.
In case someone just commit "+ Copyright (c) MySelf" in a file, it is obvious
that it can be removed.

--
Cyrille Berger