List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Usability Topics
From:       Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar () autistici ! org>
Date:       2010-08-26 19:00:07

> On Thursday 26. August 2010 10.55.13 Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
> > >
> > > Cool, I think this can be called the consensus and that we can find
> > > some time or a volunteer to write such a tool soon :)
> >
> > I can't see how we came to a consensus yet.
>
> All the raised points have been addressed and various people agreed on one
> solution that our usability expert suggested.
>
> > I think there is still a lot to
> > think about and as Boudewijn said all the dockers and tools need to be
> > taken into account there.
>
> I read the mail from Thomas P. to address this quite adequately; was there
> anything unclear?
> Most of KOffice has been designed by developers, in this specific case
> several different ones that each solved their own problem in different
> applications. I think its quite important to value the fresh perspective
> from Thomas Pfeiffer and avoid discussions that most engineers love but a
> volunteer usability person might find a bit much.

Please don't make this political. I generally welcome discussions as long as
they stay constructive, which I think the current discussion still does. I
wrote "unless we find a more elegant way", which means that I don't find that
solution perfect. So if the discussion results in a more elegant solution, I'd
be happy.

> > E.g. the line docker is also a docker and not a
> > tool so e.g. why should the styles docker not a docker as it is now.
>
> This looks like a new topic and only partly related.

See my suggestion in the other mail.

> What about we get someone create a new docker by copying the code for the 3
> different tools and the docker and put them in one nice docker as Thomas P.
> outlined.  This means no current functionality is removed.
> When the tool is functional and usability reviewed we can choose to remove
> the old tools and replace it with the new and better one.
> If its not better, its not done yet.

Sounds like a good idea to me.