On Wednesday 25 August 2010 21:02:58 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote: > > On Monday 23 August 2010, Thomas Zander wrote: > > > On Monday 23. August 2010 20.32.30 Thorsten Zachmann wrote: > > > > I would like to avoid to need an extra click for activating a tool > > > > just for changing the color of a shape. It is something I do quite > > > > often and I think also artists do quite often so having first to > > > > activate a tool should be avoided in my opinion. > > > > > > This misses the basic premise the tool system was designed for. Its > > > workflow based and by grouping the features in the tool we avoid > > > clicking, not add extra ones. > > > > Actually, having next to tools, inspector widgets that can modify the > > properties of the currently selected shape(s) has been part of the flake > > design since the beginning. The original group of flake designers (me, > > Thorsten, Casper, Rob, Peter) never intended to have everything go > > through tools. These inspector widgets have quite an ancient pedigree, > > having appeared in NextStep and are still being heavily used in Apple's > > office suite. > > > > Tools were never intended to be merely the way to conveniently open an > > inspector widget, they are for on-canvas manipulation. > > The problem in this specific case is: You are both right. As already stated > earlier in this discussion, I generally fully agree with Boudewijn that > tools should be reserved to on-canvas manipulation (which I - less > precisely - referred to as "Doing something with your mouse"). > The problem here is: > 1. Changing background/border color, gradient and pattern are clearly > related > 2. Changing color is done completely in the docker > 3. Changing/manipulating gradient and pattern is done both in a docker and > on- canvas That is not really the case. The tool is used to manipulate a gradient/pattern. The docker is used to selected a predefined patterns/gradient/color. So It you just want to select a different predefined gradient this is something which can be done in the docker. > The original decision to have tools for gradient and pattern but not for > color (as is the case now) actually precisely follows the mantra "Only use > tools for on-canvas manipulation"). However for the user, the relation > between color, gradient and pattern is obviously more prominent than the > distinction between doing and not doing on-canvas manipulation and thus > users are looking for a way to change colors in the same place as they > found tools to change gradient and background. From my experience most people find first the docker to change the gradient or a color. It mostly takes them some time to find out how to manipulate a gradient or a pattern. > Consistency is a very important aspect of usability, but "suitability of > task" is even more important. > So if users are far more likely to find the widget they are looking for in > a place where it doesn't belong according to consistency than in a > consistent one, it is worth the sacrifice in consistency. > > So unless we find a more elegant way to allow users to easily switch > between setting background colors, gradients or patterns than having them > all in a tool, I clearly prefer that over the current situation. The docker very easily lets you set a color, pattern or a gradient without the need of a tool. I have had a look at some apps and for most it is possible to modify the color/gradient as it is in the styles docker. So that is something people are used to do so. One thing which cam into my mind would to have a docker from which you could select the tools to manipulate the gradients/dockers. Also I think we should also talk to artists about that as the styles docker is a tool they quite often use. Thorsten _______________________________________________ koffice-devel mailing list koffice-devel@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/koffice-devel