List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Usability Topics
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2010-08-22 12:51:57

On Saturday 21 August 2010, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> Hi all,
> now that I was welcomed again warmly, I am eager to start working with you.
>
> First of all, we need to identify the topics/issues we will work on. If there
> are some which you have already identified but not found a solution for yet,
> please tell me about them and who will be the ideal people to discuss them
> with.
>
> Otherwise, here are two rather general topics Inge and me have identified in
> Essen:
>
> 1. The "Jumping interface".
> This behavior is caused by the fact that some dockers are automatically shown
> or hidden based on the currently selected tool / shape. Now if these dockers
> are positioned above others that are always visible, the latter "jump" up and
> down in the right pane, causing confusion for the user. We have to find ways
> to automatically show/hide those dockers while minimizing the amount of
> overall changes in the UI.

For Krita, I'm trying to build a tool option widget dock, a bit like Photoshop has \
for its palettes. But there are technical problems there -- dockers don't use the \
ordinary Qt drag-and-drop mechanism. if the tool option dockers are popups like \
Krita's brush settings popup, we'd have haved on jumping a lot.

Also, maybe we should consider going back to having a fixed tool docker that receives \
the option widgets, instead of separate dockers for every tool. Tools with more than \
one widget can then show those in a vertical layout or in tabs. Right now, with some \
tools showing up on top, and some down at the bottom, the situation is not nice.