List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Revert in KWord
From:       zander () kde ! org
Date:       2010-08-10 15:51:47

On Tuesday 10. August 2010 16.29.17 Inge Wallin wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 10, 2010 16:12:13 zander@kde.org wrote:
> > I just noticed this commit email message;
> >
> > This revert of my work has not been announced or discussed anywhere, no
> > breakges have been reported on bugzilla or anywhere else I could find.
> >
> > Can we please communicate instead of commit reverts of others work? I
> > think this specific request has been made a LOT in the last couple of
> > weeks so this revert really surprises me in a bad way :-(
>
> I know the commit message said "revert", but you should look at it as a
> fix.

The patch reverts various fixes I made in document model and stability.
Reverting my work most definitely needs more than a "its a fix!", I might
actually have knowledge about this stuff, you know. I wrote most of it ;)

> Your commit did seriously break text painting in a way that made the
> white background be painted above the text in a lot of documents.  This is
> the only part of your work that was "reverted", i.e. fixed.

Then communicate this. I think everyone here will agree that undoing work done
by others is impolite at best. Undoing the work of the maintainer double so.

> > And let me be crystal clear; in KWord I am the maintainer and I very much
> > welcome people working together to fix problems and add features. The way
> > that this happens is by talking to me and not working around me. If you
> > try this anyway you will notice your fixes no longer are welcome because
> > I value cooperation and a friendly atmosphere much more than I value
> > code.
>
> I think fixing an obvious bug with a small fix is in fact cooperating just
> fine.

My "Crystal clear" is not very clear then. :-(
Undoing work I did because you think its wrong by just reverting it and not
explaining what was wrong is impolite and just wrong. And this is not limited
to KWord, this is a KDE wide policy.

If you think I did something wrong you either understand my intention and fix
it so both our ways work, or you talk to me.
What Hanzes did was just remove my fixes since they seem to have interfered
with his work. And you call it a fix. I disagree. This is not cooperation.

Thanks fly to Hanzes for emailing me the actual problem (see other mail on this
thread) he is seeing, so lets not discuss this further and instead start
cooperating. :-)
--
Thomas Zander