List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: design discussion: progress classes in KOffice
From:       zander () kde ! org
Date:       2010-08-10 13:22:51

On Tuesday 10. August 2010 09.10.49 Jos van den Oever wrote:
> I've been using the progress classes quite a bit the last week and come to
> the  conclusion that I do not like them. Mainly I think the api of the
> classes KoUpdater, KoUpdaterPrivate, KoProgressUpdater is confusing and
> overly heavy.

I think this was the consensus already :)
I wrote the initial versions and the way they work sounds wrong to me now. I
would do it differently now, using only QObject stuff.

> So I've come up with a new design in the form of a header file and I would
> like  people to have a look at it and see if they like it.

I'm more than fine with you picking up a new project but I don't think we
should replace the current classes any time soon.
Multithreading stuff takes a lot of time to stabilize and Krita is using it
rather heavily so replacing this sounds risky and can have a big influence on
the stability of the applications.

The class lives in a library that is not scheduled to be made public and so
not going to have BC or SC requirements any time soon.
Maybe this cleanup can wait until we are a bit more stable and get at least
the various apps into end-user-ready state.  Which I think everyone agreed at
the last meeting was the first goal.
--
Thomas Zander