List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Substitute for the MSOOXML concept of Comments
From:       Carlos Licea <carlos_licea () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2010-07-14 20:37:07

> Hello list,
>
> In our tireless quest against bugs I've been entrusted to solve bug 239476
> BKO (from bugs.kde.org - BKO,) namely, "kpresenter:msoffice2003:Comments
> are not displayed in kpresenter."
>
> In MSOOXML such comments are represented as another file that is tied to
> the proper slide through a relationship. A comment is merely a textbox
> placed in the document with the comment as its content and some added
> metadata (mainly the author, date and id of the comment) that is hidden
> while on presentation mode (in the implementation MS2007 changes this a
> bit showing a small rectangle instead of the whole textbox, showing it
> only when clicked.) I feel that its main purpose is for the revision of a
> presentation while being created. A very simple concept.
>
> But I'm facing a problem: I haven't been able to find an exact semantic
> equivalent to this concept in ODF. The closest is presentation:notes which
> allows one to draw a "notes" page where we could place the notes as they
> exist on the PPTX file. However, it has some drawbacks, to name the most
> prominent: 1)the metadata would be lost unless we insert it on the form of
> text inside a textbox; 2)the concepts are not quite the same, notes are
> snips of text that explain or expand concepts, or even recommend further
> reading for the audience; and overall we are doing nothing more than
> replacing a specific concept (Comments) with a more general one (the
> creation of a Notes page,) hence losing some context.
>
> I haven't founded a better approach, so, this is the approach I've taken
> and which I'll commit in a couple of hours. However, I want to ask, do you
> have any other proposals or ideas to better solve this problem?
>
> Thanks,
After a brief discussion with Boemann and Zagge we're not sure which approach
to take.

In the midst of the discussion I threw another path we could take if we find
that the presentation:notes one is not proper. We could introduce another
element koffice:comment with the same semantics as the MSOOXML one.

Nevertheless, Zagge objected, his point is that we would no longer be
producing valid standard ODF. I countered with a quote from ODF in which it
says that the producers of a document can extend ODF as long as their changes
are documented somewhere:

> 22.3.2 Conforming OpenDocument Extended Producers
> (P2) A Conforming OpenDocument extended producer is a program that creates
> at least one conforming OpenDocument extended document, and that meets the
> following additional requirements:
> (P2.1) It shall not create any non-conforming OpenDocument extended
> documents of any kind. (P2.2) It shall be accompanied by a document that
> defines all implementation-defined values used by the OpenDocument
> extended producer.
> (P2.3) It should be accompanied by a document that defines all foreign
> elements and attributes used by the OpenDocument extended producer.

He thinks that while valid, this solution is unacceptable as we would still
produce non-standard ODF documents.

We are, right now, in a minor deadlock.

In essence we have 2 ways to accomplish the exporting of the comments:
1)We take my first approach, in which we put the comments in
presentation:notes. This is bending the rules. But kind of works.

2)We take the other approach and create a new koffice:comment (or presentation
comment) element meant to be used inside a draw:frame with the following
attributes:
1)Author
2)Date
And just one child: text:p.
This is not against the rules but is just, obviously, not standard.

I'd appreciate the comments of the rest of the community to best solve this
problem in the quickest possible way.
--
Carlos Licea