List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Substitute for the MSOOXML concept of Comments
From:       Carlos Licea <carlos_licea () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2010-07-14 18:59:14

Hello list,

In our tireless quest against bugs I've been entrusted to solve bug 239476 BKO
(from bugs.kde.org - BKO,) namely, "kpresenter:msoffice2003:Comments are not
displayed in kpresenter."

In MSOOXML such comments are represented as another file that is tied to the
proper slide through a relationship. A comment is merely a textbox placed in
the document with the comment as its content and some added metadata (mainly
the author, date and id of the comment) that is hidden while on presentation
mode (in the implementation MS2007 changes this a bit showing a small
rectangle instead of the whole textbox, showing it only when clicked.) I feel
that its main purpose is for the revision of a presentation while being
created. A very simple concept.

But I'm facing a problem: I haven't been able to find an exact semantic
equivalent to this concept in ODF. The closest is presentation:notes which
allows one to draw a "notes" page where we could place the notes as they exist
on the PPTX file. However, it has some drawbacks, to name the most prominent:
1)the metadata would be lost unless we insert it on the form of text inside a
textbox; 2)the concepts are not quite the same, notes are snips of text that
explain or expand concepts, or even recommend further reading for the
audience; and overall we are doing nothing more than replacing a specific
concept (Comments) with a more general one (the creation of a Notes page,)
hence losing some context.

I haven't founded a better approach, so, this is the approach I've taken and
which I'll commit in a couple of hours. However, I want to ask, do you have
any other proposals or ideas to better solve this problem?

Thanks,
--
Carlos Licea