List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: wiki.koffice.org/krita > community.kde.org/krita
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-07-13 8:21:39

On Monday 12. July 2010 22.33.30 Ingo Malchow wrote:
> 2010/7/12 Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet@gmail.com>:

> >> While there are advantages you pointed to, I also see now three
> >> permanent usability problems: unlike on the original wiki, links are
> >> not underlined by default and get nearly black colour and optically
> >> it's even more a problem for 'visited' link colour. Also, width does
> >> not resemble design of wikipedia, making it suboptimal for purposes of
> >> 'technical scratchpad'.
> >> Also, mediawiki namespaces are disabled, so searching for "icons"
> >> keyword but only for kexi is hard to perform.
> >> Even if enabled, user would have to reset the namespace selection e.g.
> >> to 'main' from 'kexi' when looking for kexi-related things and set it
> >> again to 'main' when looking e.g. for akademy-related things.
> >> These are my notes as mediawiki web sites admin.
> >
> > Hmmm, certainly good points. Maybe the current team running
> > community.kde.org would be happy with your expertise?
>
> Guys, you are giving me a really hard time! :D _right_ at the moment
> we are working on the new mediawiki theme for the kde wikis...
> This involves maany changes, basically looking like the kde main site,
> but with fluid layout and some adjustments to better fit the wiki
> workflow.
> As for the namespaces, didn't check that yet, not sure why they were
> disabled in first place. Will do.
> Then, techbase and community are soon to be updated, the whole
> codebase is very well outdated... Luckily userbase already is updated,
> now the 3 wikis (and one more) need to be glued together again. Only
> limitation: the manpower...
> But like always, you can't be fast enough, someone is always faster to
> request it :P
> Anyway, thanks for the hints, will be considered.

For the upgrade, may I request dropping the fixed-width layout?  That alone
makes me not want to use the sites as its just a pain to write text (especially
code examples) for a site that is fixed width.
Another reason for not using fixed width is that the sites will be more readable
on portable devices that tend to have a different display sizes.
Looking forward to the upgrade :)
--
Thomas Zander