List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Google Online document Plugin for KOffice
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2010-07-04 6:57:51

On Friday, July 02, 2010 23:16:57 Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Friday 2. July 2010 12.53.17 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > On Monday 28 June 2010, Mani N C wrote:
> > > Hello All,
> > >
> > > I have implemented a plugin for KOffice, which would download documents
> > > from Google Docs server and open it with KWord/KPresenter/KSpread.
> > > ATM we won't be able to use this plugin because of a bug in Google
> > > Docs. which doesn't export the document in the correct format.
> > > http://code.google.com/p/gdata-issues/issues/detail?id=2023 Though it
> > > is not working now, I have tested it with lot of documents earlier.
> > >
> > > All Word document will be downloaded as ODT and spreadsheets are
> > > downloaded as ODS. Now they do not support ODP, So we download it as
> > > PPT format. UI is still in the initial phase need some more effort to
> > > make it more user friendly. I am planning to implement upload and
> > > delete feature in future.
> > >
> > > Your suggestions/comments are welcome. If no one has any objection
> > > against this plugin, I will commit the code to SVN
> >
> > I really would like to see this committed :-)
>
> Having this in svn or git is certainly good, would love to see this too.
>
> I don't really mind where this goes really, just wanted to take this
> opportunity to bring up the way that I've seen this handled in Plasma, the
> plugins are developed in a staging area and when they are of sufficient
> quality they are released together with the rest of the plugins.
>
> The reason I bring this up is that we are getting more and more plugins in
> our main repository that don't actually pass our main criteria for
> release. The vector shape can't save yet as an example.

That is true, but I'm working on that as you may have seen from various mails
that I have written.

That said, what *are* our main criteria for release for shapes?  Can you point
to the wiki page?  (I'm offline when writing this, otherwise I would search
first, but right now I have no idea what we have.)

> Having an official staging area for the various new koffice plugins may be
> a really nice thing to have so developers get more testing and help, and
> we can make some rules on when to include the plugins into the main repo
> and include them in the main release.
>
> Opinions?

As long as this staging area isn't the developers own harddisk and
reviewboard, I guess it could be done.  Right now the reviewboard seem to be
acting more as a blocking post than a help, given how many open reviews that
we have.  We have to do something about that soon.

For a staging area to work for me, the following two criteria have to be
fulfilled:
 * The code has to be completely visible so that other people can see it and
help out (as you also write above).
 * It must be real easy to build a koffice with the "unfinished" shapes
included in the build.

Right now we do actually fulfill the two criteria above by having them inside
the normal source and disabling them at the release.  Another real simple
thing we could do is to create a plugins/staging/ subdirectory where the
plugins are developed until they are ready and then they are just moved up one
step.  I don't think we have enough unfinished shapes being developed inside
KOffice to warrant a more complex solution.

And another question arises: Is it too early to do this?  Many applications
are not exactly polished yet either.