List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Akademy press materials
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-06-30 20:10:21

On Wednesday 30. June 2010 17.41.38 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 12:01 AM, Stuart Jarvis <stuart.jarvis@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > I've turned some of the press info prepped on etherpad into pdfs (vast
> > majority of the text is thanks to other people). See the wiki at
> > http://community.kde.org/Promo/Material/PressKits
> >
> > I know these are far from perfect, but we need something *now*. Reviews
> > for
>
> I think they're actually pretty good! Me likes, me likes.
>
> > /essential/ problems like typos are welcome. You can also grab the whole
> > lot plus the ODT sources (KWord 2.2) from
> > http://www.asinen.org/downloads/akademypress.tar.gz
> > to make direct edits and improvements.
>
> Sucky that the font/spacing PDF output of KWord is so horrible :(
>
> Rather embarassing to give this to journalists :(

Looking at the PDF I have to agree, it looks horrible.
Curiously, this looks much better when I export it to PDF using my self
compiled Qt/KDE/KWord. No clue why.
Kerning looks much better in my exported version.
Since opening the akademy odt made my heart sink about formatting issues I
looked into it and was glad to see it was actually a document issue. An
anchored frame was, well, anchored in the middle of the text which was a
duplicate frame somehow.  So editing the content.xml I fixed that.
Also fixed the doc having 3 pages (it was hardcoded in the xml to have 3) and
fixed the encoding issues of Málaga / Nové Hrade.
I'll email the odt/pdf to jos in a separate mail as they are too big for the
list.

> Maybe they need to be redone with OO.o, though I can imagine you don't
> look forward to the extra work.

Please no! :)

--
Thomas Zander