List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Call on wise men for text on shape
From:       Thorsten Zachmann <t.zachmann () zagge ! de>
Date:       2010-06-30 3:20:18

On Tuesday 29 June 2010 17:50:39 Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Tuesday 29. June 2010 16.07.49 Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
> > > Even if we ignore additional features that are currently also
> > > implemented using decoration, I have the impression that in order to
> > > do this correctly the text- on-shape feature has to know about
> > > clipping in order to avoid placing the text under the unclipped image
> > > instead of placing it where it should be.
> >
> > The placing of the text does not change by the clipping so they are not
> > interconnected. The text is set on the image, the clipping is set. I
> > don't see  why test on shape would need to know about clipping.
>
> The placing of the text does change; I wrote that in my usecase;
>
> > So you have a picture of 1000x1000 and clip it to be 100x100. The text on
> > shape should be positioned at approx (0,110)
>
> The text is *under* the shape and we clip the shape visualization; so
> naturally the text position should change to respond to that.

Looks like I had missed *under* here.

> Or more clear;  text under shape unclipped; at 0, 1010.
> text under shape clipped; at 0, 110.

So lets explain again. If there is clipping the bounding box reported by the
shape would be different. We can have a shape implement caption that knows how
to place a text under a shape. I see no problem e.g. for using a container
that handles that.

> I'll make it clear again; the point of asking for clarification is that if
> we were to write a proof of concept for this would the issue I mention of
> interconnected features be an issue or not? I think it is. But I'm open to
> you disproving me.
>
> > However I see some problems with how saving clipping is done at the
> > moment.
>
> Maybe you can file a bugreport. Its likely not too hard to fix and clipping
> is not part of the text-on-shape wise men request AFAICT.

There is no problem with how the saving is done at the moment. The problem
comes when adding more decorations.
And as said before that is not working atm to have a clip and a text on shape.

Thorsten