List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Call on wise men for text on shape
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-06-29 15:50:39

On Tuesday 29. June 2010 16.07.49 Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
> > Even if we ignore additional features that are currently also implemented
> > using decoration, I have the impression that in order to do this
> > correctly the text- on-shape feature has to know about clipping in order
> > to avoid placing the text under the unclipped image instead of placing
> > it where it should be.
>
> The placing of the text does not change by the clipping so they are not
> interconnected. The text is set on the image, the clipping is set. I don't
> see  why test on shape would need to know about clipping.

The placing of the text does change; I wrote that in my usecase;

> So you have a picture of 1000x1000 and clip it to be 100x100. The text on
> shape should be positioned at approx (0,110)

The text is *under* the shape and we clip the shape visualization; so
naturally the text position should change to respond to that.

Or more clear;  text under shape unclipped; at 0, 1010.
text under shape clipped; at 0, 110.

I'll make it clear again; the point of asking for clarification is that if we
were to write a proof of concept for this would the issue I mention of
interconnected features be an issue or not? I think it is. But I'm open to you
disproving me.

> However I see some problems with how saving clipping is done at the moment.

Maybe you can file a bugreport. Its likely not too hard to fix and clipping is
not part of the text-on-shape wise men request AFAICT.

--
Thomas Zander