List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Fwd: [kde-webmaster] Download & Installation KOffice 2.2.0
From:       Albert Astals Cid <aacid () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-06-14 19:21:39

Albert

["forwarded message" (message/rfc822)]

[Attachment #5 (multipart/alternative)]

Dear Webmaster,

I just attempted to download KOffice.  It did not seem to matter whether I chose save \
to disk or open, the results were the same.  I got an error message stating "For full \
access to ZIPITF - 1's shell and file manager interface, ZipItFree must be properly \
associated with supported archive files.  However ZipItFree is currently not \
associated with one or more support types.  Associate ZIPITF - 1 with support \
extensions now?"  After selecting Yes, ZipItFree issues the error message "Failed to \
set data for ".

After getting ZipItFree to unzip nearly 13,000 files, 11,653 of which are in the same \
folder, I did not notice an exe file, an application file (except for flash \
installation) or a shell and File Manager interface.  Is it that open source \
applications don't realize or don't care that MS Windows does not support a number of \
different zip file types and even third party applications ZipItFree or 7 - Zip have \
issue with acceptance into its archive?  Under such circumstances, open source \
download sites should use self-extracting zip files or allow for the application to \
be downloaded in an unzipped format.  Common sense should dictate that  an exe, \
application, launch, setup or installation file be prominently displayed in order to \
prevent someone fro having to cycle through countless files just to do a routine \
installation.

This has been a distressing experience.  However it is typical of other experiences \
that I have had with open source applications.  Fortunately Windows is not the only \
platform on the market, but unfortunately it is the 800 lb. gorilla and requires its \
just attention. like it or not.

With frustration,

Miles Williams
P,S. If contributions are scant, it could very well be because prospective users \
throw up their hands in frustration without ever experiencing the application.