List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kivio] What would be a good practice to implement configurable
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2010-05-07 7:30:19

On Tuesday 04 May 2010 17:28:56 Yue Liu wrote:
> Is it possible to create shapes using scripting languages? If it is,
> we can make some scripting plugins for kivio to make stencil creation
> easier.
>
> BTW, what is the difference between insert a stencil directly and
> insert it as a frame? I found VecterShape insert vecter files as
> frames. Do stencils need to be inserted as frames?

The original thought behind the vector shape was to be the vector equivalent
of the picture shape: A view-only shape for embedded files.  Today it supports
the windows formats WMF and EMF, but that could easily be extended.

You could of course create a stencil shape with the same supported file
formats, but with other ways of user interaction.  The code to handle WMF is
already in a library, although under koffice/filters and that could easily be
moved to koffice/libs/ somewhere. The code to handle EMF is not used anywhere
else than the vector shape currently, so it's under the vector shape itself in
koffice/plugins/vectorshape/libemf.  That could also easily be extracted.

I cannot really tell you about the difference between a stencil and a frame
because I don't know what a stencil has to do.

	-Inge