List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    About KSpread increse of supported rows
From:       Carlos Licea <carlos_licea () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2010-04-30 0:07:36

List,
Recently I've been working on increasing the supported rows to match OOo and MS
Excel.

With my recent commits I think it works fairly well. Please try to break it, if
you do, please, let me know.

However, those changes arose the legit concern that that could increase the
memory footprint of KSpread; I've been thinking about it and doing some tests,
here are my results:

* First off, the class Cluster is no longer used at all. It seems that the
class CellStorage was introduced to substitute the Cluster class but, in the
end, Cluster was never removed, and now the all Cluster classes are just used
to access the Format for the rows or the columns (if you look at it even all
the Cluster methods are just commented out; how come we don't have undefined
symbols is something I don't understand.)

*Secondly, the change involves increasing the first level to store 256
references instead of 128, as those references are just pointers unless they
are actually needed that means that the increment in memory usage is: 128
pointers to begin with. However, in the tests I've been doing I haven't noticed
any change in memory usage:

             Memory       Shared memory
Before        44.1MB       41.2MB
After         42.3MB       41.3MB

So in the end, it doesn't seem to have a really huge impact in the memory
footprint.
Also, tangentially related, we need to do some cleanups on the code and remove
unused classes and old comments.

Carlos Licea